Roasted Tomato Basil Soup. Whether you get the recipe from Chrissy Teigen or the OG Ina Garten, it's still delish no matter what season you're in. We're visiting farmer's markets for the tomatoes, good old Whole Foods for the rest, but we guarantee this is the easiest and best Tomato Soup you can have.
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Serves: 4-6 Soup
Prep Time: I think we all know I open a bottle of wine and take my sweet time so probably ~2ish hours? Worth it, we promise.
- 3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 large white onion (or 2 depending on your love of onion)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- crushed red peppers
- 1 jar (28-ounce) plum tomatoes, with their juice
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 quart vegetable low-salt stock
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Add cut plum tomatoes to baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and if you like lots of thyme, add some on top. With your hands, gently toss and re-lay on sheet. Roast for 45 min.
- Saute onions in olive oil and butter. After about 8 min, add in garlic and red pepper flakes. You can add some salt in to help cook the onions, but save seasoning until last!
- Add in canned tomatoes, basil, thyme and chicken stock. Add in the oven roasted tomatoes including all the good stuff from the baking sheet.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered for 45 min.
- Either in a food processor or handheld blender, blend at a low speed until smooth.
- If you're like us, and need some sort of topping or bread, make some homemade croutons by taking a load of french bread, roughly chopped or torn, top with olive oil, salt and pepper, toss then bake for ~10 min until brown.